Friday, November 18, 2011

Ann's Cranberry Bread

I would imagine that most people with young children get asked to do things at the last minute, things like a spur-of-the-moment bake sale. Well, our Cub Scout Pack threw just that at us earlier this week. I think I'd be more enthusiastic if it weren't for the fact that I have a suitcase packed, ready to go, and this would have been the last thing I'd have thought I needed to do. But, I did it anyway, and I did, mainly because this recipe for Cranberry Bread is perfect for Thanksgiving. It's almost as easy to make as a mix, and tastes SO much better!

My late Aunt Ann was a feisty woman: Irish, golfer, mother to four of my wonderful cousins. We were sad to see her leave this earth too early. She left behind a legacy that includes this great recipe.

Ann's Cranberry Bread
Makes one loaf

1 cup white, all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup boiling water
2 Tbsp. melted shortening (see note below)
1 egg

1 tsp. grated orange peel (available in the spice department)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1 cup halved fresh cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Add sugar and stir. Stir in orange juice, melted shortening, water and egg. (To melt the shortening, I microwave 1/2 cup of water in a 1 cup liquid measuring cup to a rolling boil, and pour it out to 1/4 cup. I scoop out the shortening into the boiling water and stir to dissolve.)

Once you've got your batter done, add the orange peel, cranberries, and if you like, pecan pieces.

Pour batter into a greased bread loaf and bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes (check it at 60). I turn my breads in the oven at the half-way point, to make sure that they brown evenly. Turn out onto a cooling rack. Freezes well.

Fresh cranberries: I buy them and freeze them to have on hand.

What it took to get the recipe done with four boys running around the house like banshees.

Unto each recipe some flour must fall. 

I chose to juice the oranges myself so we'd have orange slices for our car ride this week.

Melting shortening in boiling water

I'd love to show you the loaf cut open, but these are heading to a bake sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment