Thursday, March 29, 2012

Parsnips: The OTHER Root Vegetable

Truth be told, I've never given a lot of regard to parsnips. I'm certain they were never a part of the vegetable lineup served by my mother. I know my own interest in them is recent, and leaned more towards "another veggie to throw in the chicken soup." A few weeks ago, while waiting for my son to get his hair cut, I came across this recipe in the local paper's food insert (and yes, I did take the section of the paper with me). I tried it and was pleasantly surprised that the boys tried them; Boy #1 really liked them. We did them again last night and the response was the same. It says serves six, but it really served four, with me eating way more parsnips than I thought possible. 
Parsnips: The Other Root Vegetable

Not pretty, but very tasty 

Parsnips have a particularly pungent aroma when cut

Sprinkle the cayenne from up high to ensure even coverage

Really, really delicious



Glazed Parsnips
Adapted from Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Hands on: 10 minutes
Total cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6
2 pounds parsnips, peeled, cut into finger-size lengths
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 tsp. unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Put parsnips in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Add salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.  Drain and arrange parsnips on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar, dot with butter and sprinkle with cayenne and rosemary. Bake 20 minutes or until parsnips begin to brown. Remove from oven and serve hot or warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment