Wednesday, September 21, 2011

An Apple A Day

It's early apple season and I think it's going to be a good year for Georgia apples. I asked my mother to bring me some Jonathan apples after Labor Day, and she delivered. I originally thought perhaps I'd make plain applesauce, but remembered that I also had a bag of frozen cranberries, waiting to be used. So, I returned to this awesome recipe that my son's preschool teacher gave us last fall, after the Thanksgiving Feast held at school. The Pre-K class made the applesauce for the Feast, and it was a big hit.


Super Star Cranberry Applesauce

6 tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup fresh, whole cranberries
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice (depending upon tartness of apples)

Put all ingredients in a large, heavy stockpot and bring to a boil. Cover, then simmer over lowest heat possible until soft. Cool in refrigerator and serve either warm or cold.


Lovely North Georgia Apples

Apples ready to boil
Cranapplesauce


I will spare you the photo, but my husband actually used this applesauce as salad dressing the first night we had it. I don't have any idea why that appealed to him, but he gave it a big thumbs up.




No comments:

Post a Comment