Thursday, September 1, 2011

Gettin' Figgy With It

I do like that Will Smith song. But I like figs better. They're not in season for long. They happen to grow locally in abundance, and they're just great! I bought a pint of them at Whole Foods on Tuesday; your local farmer's market may too have them right now. One of my favorite things to do with them is very simple. Sugar, cinnamon, a little butter and sliced figs. Let me show you. My friend Gene in Morristown, NJ showed me how years ago and it's still my favorite.

Figs on parade



Grilled Figs

1 pint fresh figs, washed and halved
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. butter

Put cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl or plate and stir so they mix. Heat butter in a skillet over medium-low heat until melted. Dip the fig half, cut side down, in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Place face down in the pan. (You may want to run your exhaust fan, because it may smoke a bit). Keep adding figs until you have the pan mostly full (but not so full they don't fit face down; do it in batches if using a small pan). Cook for 2 minutes or so and flip over so they're on the skin side down. Cook another minute. Remove from pan and serve.

Grilled Figs that my camera can't seem to focus on


 

No comments:

Post a Comment